While web3 has brought great innovation & collaboration in music, it still too strongly resembles a status quo music industry that lacks support for women/queer artists.
There are still few music projects out there focused on featuring women / queer people of color, web3 or otherwise. i-wave was created to change that.
Since its inception in March 2021, iridescent wave has been a blogging platform doing the important work of featuring & interviewing great and often overlooked artists. To date, the blog has spotlighted 17 different artists, hosted an IRL queer garden party during NFT NYC, hosts a monthly video call artist meeting group, rocks a monthly playlist, and most recently, co-hosts a weekly Twitter space conversation focused on music + art: musemind conversations.
After a year and a half of blogging, collaborating, and producing non-stop, founder Celia Inside is ready to take iridescent wave to the next level: community mixtapes featuring rotating executive producers.
There are a few different producer communities doing great things in the web3 music space. Here's how the i-wave mixtape stands out:
- One featured artist-producer will take the helm to create four tracks with source material (acapellas, whole songs, instrumentals, etc.) from the community of i-wave spotlighted artists. This means finished tracks could take the form of remixes or completely new tracks.
- Songs will drop one at a time to ensure they all get the shine they deserve.
- The majority of funds brought in will be split evenly amongst all artists who contributed to the tape; the rest will be split amongst all other past i-wave spotlighted artists, and iridescent wave.
- i-wave founder Celia Inside will work with all contributors to create a multimedia rollout & drop.
- All tracks will be dropped across streaming platforms/DSPs in tandem with web3 drops.
- Overall: an ongoing mixtape project opportunity for women/qpoc artists to take part in, especially rising artist-producers.
There are several talented artist-producers in the greater i-wave community who could smash executive producing a 4- track mixtape. The challenge is not the music creation, but rather: how do we incentivize such a time & work-heavy role like that, and how do we secure the project's future?
We think and plan ahead. With $5000, for example, we could ensure at least the first five mixtapes have funding and promotion with any income & hype generated feeding back into the community.
With funding, we could hand out stipend incentives to each mixtape contributor, promote that work in web3 & beyond to ensure each mixtape's success, and remain an independent voice and source of creation in web3 music that fosters the development of women/qpoc in music.
If you want to support women/qpoc in music, this is your chance to vote for the i-wave mixtape project. Let's make history!